The mission of the Women’s Board of Northwestern Lake Forest Hospital is to support the hospital through fundraising, volunteerism, education and advocacy. Our activities seek to enhance the facilities and services of the hospital, helping to ensure that the highest quality of healthcare is available.
The Women’s Board of Northwestern Lake Forest Hospital dates back to 1942, when the hospital opened in its present location. The board is comprised of 122 talented and committee active, honorary and sustaining members. They also volunteer in nearly all hospital departments and contribute over 10,000 hours of service to Northwestern Lake Forest Hospital annually.
The Board is pleased and proud to offer scholarship opportunities to students enrolled in a school of nursing, medical school or other accredited clinical health career program with direct patient care. The A.B. Dick, Jr. Scholarship, established in 1952, is named for the first chairman of the hospital’s Board of Directors. Mr. Dick’s family donated the land on which our main hospital campus sits. Mr. Dick served on the Board from 1940 to 1951. The Marion Warner Hodgkins Scholarship was established in honor of the first president and founder of the Women’s Board. Mrs. Hodgkins served on the Women’s Board from 1946 until her death in 2000. The Helen Dick Bronson Scholarship was established in 2009 in memory of A. B. Dick Jr.’s daughter. Helen was a member of the Women’s Board for 60 years and served as president from 1962 to 1965.
Fundraising continues to be an important and successful aspect of the Women’s Board’s role at Northwestern Lake Forest Hospital. Fundraising activities of the Women’s Board include an annual benefit, a holiday boutique and a women’s heart health event. Through these endeavors, the Women’s Board has raised, contributed or personally solicited more than $1 million in support of the hospital in the past two years.