What to Pack for Your Hospital Stay
Northwestern Lake Forest Hospital realizes that having a baby can be an overwhelming experience — especially the first time. Whether it is your first child or your fourth, we want to do everything possible to make your experience a memorable one.
Please consider bringing the following items with you:
- A camera (regular or video) and battery charger. Please note that videotaping may be restricted, so consult your physician.
- Free broadband Internet access is available. If your laptop computer has a wireless card, you can utilize the Wi-Fi hotspots throughout the hospital. Please note that Wi-Fi may not be accessible in all hospital areas, so we encourage you to bring a cord to access the hospital’s DSL to avoid disappointment.
- Toiletries: toothbrush and toothpaste, breath spray, lip balm, mouthwash and shampoo/conditioner. Hair dryers are available in each postpartum room.
- Footwear: slippers or comfortable, warm socks with non-slip bottoms to walk in while in labor.
- Clothing: comfortable, going-home clothes for yourself (maternity wear still generally fits most new moms for a few weeks) and a weather-appropriate outfit for the baby to wear home. Also, consider bringing a special outfit for your baby’s first picture. We recommend solid colors rather than prints.
- Coaches/Husbands/Partners: wear and pack comfortable and warm clothes to the hospital. You will be wearing them for the delivery experience and the labor rooms can become cool as labor progresses. You may also want a bathing suit in case mom wants to labor in the shower, and sweats or pajamas if you spend the night. Bring a soft button-down shirt so you can accommodate “skin-to-skin” contact with your baby. Pack toiletries if you spend the night and bring favorite snacks in case the coffee shop or cafeteria is not open. Refrigerators are provided in all patient rooms.
- Photographs of siblings can be brought to tape to your baby’s crib, if you like.
- If you move or change insurance companies, please bring copies of the current information with you and inform the Registration Department.
- Bring music CDs, VCR tapes or DVDs, a deck of cards or magazine or book for entertainment. Each labor and delivery room and postpartum room has a combination VCR/DVD player for your use.
A few additional items to note:
- Do not bring large amounts of cash, jewelry, pillow or other linens.
- Cell phones may interfere with medical equipment, and therefore may not be permitted in all areas of the hospital. Hospital personnel can direct you to safe cell phone areas.
If you have any further questions, please call our Childbirth Education Line at (847) 535-6182 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.