Credible Health Information Websites
Who can you trust for medical information online?
The following list is provided courtesy of the Medical Library Association, which finds the following Web sites useful. Please note that sites are listed in alphabetical, NOT ranked, order.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Healthfinder®, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- HIV InSite
- Mayo Clinic
- MEDEM: an information partnership of medical societies
- MedlinePlus (English | Spanish)
- NOAH: New York Online Access to Health
The Consumer and Patient Health Information Section (CAPHIS) of MLA evaluates web sites based on the following criteria: credibility, sponsorship/authorship, content, audience, currency, disclosure, purpose, links, design, interactivity and disclaimers.